Roast Turkey With Tangy Yellow Mustard Condiment
3kg brined turkey (feeds 6)
250g unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp. French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard
Zest of one large orange
2 Tablespoons dried sage
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Place turkey in roasting tray.
- IN A BOWL, beat together butter, French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard and orange zest with some freshly ground black pepper, add in the sage and mix. Cut your orange into wedges and place in the cavity of the bird.
- WITH CLEAN HANDS starting at the neck end, work your fingers gently up under the skin of the bird, separating the skin from the breast meat but taking care not to tear the skin.
- SPREAD the flavoured butter up under the skin and massage it all over the breast meat. As the turkey roasts you can spoon any juices and butter that collect in the tray back over the bird to maximise colour and flavour.
- BAKE turkey for 30 minutes, until brown all over, turn the oven down to 160°C and continue to cook until a meat thermometer reads 66-68°C when inserted at the thickest part of the bird and the juices are running clear, around 15-20 mins for every pound in weight.
- REMOVE turkey from oven and loosely cover with aluminium foil. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes to finish cooking before slicing.
- SERVE with Tangy Yellow Mustard Condiment.
Tangy Yellow Mustard Condiment
Serves 6 with plenty of leftovers which will keep for up to a month sealed in a jar in the fridge and is great with all meats.
1kg French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard
500g cider vinegar
350g light brown sugar
1½ tsp. paprika
1½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1½ tsp. cayenne
1½ tsp. black pepper
- PLACE all ingredients in a heavy bottomed pot and bring up to a boil. Whisk the sauce continuously until all the sugar has melted. If you don't, it will sink and burn to the bottom of the pot.
- TURN heat down and simmer sauce 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly; stirring often.
- REMOVE and allow to cool.