Roast Tomato Soup with Frenchs Crunchy Onions
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1.5 kgs ripe tomatoes (plum have less water) cut in 1/2
75 ml olive oil
15 ml salt
5 ml pepper
75 g onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled, chopped
120 g butter
1 can 794 g whole peeled tomatoes
5 ml fresh thyme leaves
960 ml chicken stock
115 g French’s® Crunchy Onions
- PREHEAT oven to 190°C. Toss cut fresh tomatoes with the salt, pepper, olive oil and place on roasting pan. Cook for 35-40 minutes
- IN the meantime, melt butter over medium heat in 7 1/2 litre sauce pan, when foamy add carrots, onion and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat till soft. Try for "sweated" look, not brown. Add canned tomato and chicken stock. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- WHEN the oven tomatoes are done, put all in sauce pan, scraping with rubber spatula to get all juice.
- COOK soup for another 10 minutes. Take off heat. Blend using a stick blender, a regular blender or a food mill till smooth. There is no need to strain. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- LADLE into serving bowl and garnish with French’s® Crunchy Onions.
- Tip: Soup is good cold as well.